Kayaking is a great outdoor activity that offers numerous benefits for women, from physical exercise to mental rejuvenation. It’s a fun way to explore the water and connect with nature, but what about during that time of the month?
One question that often comes up for women who are into kayaking is: Can you kayak while on your period?
You can kayak while on your period as long as you take precautions to ensure comfort and hygiene. It’s best to use feminine products, such as tampons or menstrual cups, instead of pads to prevent leaks. Also, make sure to bring extra supplies, wear dark clothing, and take regular bathroom breaks.
Keep reading to learn more about the pros and cons of kayaking while on your period and get some practical tips on how to stay comfortable.
Table of Contents
Can You Kayak While on Your Period?
As explained in this guide on who can kayak, basically anyone can go kayaking. So, yes, you can absolutely kayak while on your period! Kayaking is a low-impact sport that is generally considered safe for menstruating women.
However, some women may feel uncomfortable kayaking while on their period or worry about potential leaks.
The good news is that with the right precautions, kayaking while menstruating can be safe and comfortable.
Pros and Cons of Kayaking While on Your Period
Like any other physical activity, kayaking while on your period has benefits as well as challenges.
So, let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of kayaking on your period to help you determine whether the experience is worth it.
- It can provide some relief from cramps and other menstrual symptoms due to the release of endorphins that comes with physical activity.
- Being out on the water and enjoying nature can help relieve stress and boost your overall mood.
- It is a low-impact sport that can help improve cardiovascular health, strengthen muscles, and burn calories.
- It allows you to enjoy being physically active without being confined to a gym or indoor space.
- Menstrual products can be uncomfortable or may require frequent changing, which can be challenging when out on the water.
- Leaks can happen, particularly if a menstrual product is not fitted or inserted correctly, which could cause embarrassment and discomfort.
- Access to restroom facilities may be limited, particularly when kayaking in remote areas.
Overall, the benefits of kayaking while on your period can outweigh the challenges. With the right preparation and mindset, you can mitigate the cons and have a comfortable and enjoyable experience.
Does Physical Activity Affect Your Menstrual Cycle?
No evidence suggests that kayaking or any other physical activity affects a woman’s menstrual cycle.
However, strenuous exercise can cause changes in hormone levels and may impact the regularity of periods, particularly for highly trained athletes.
For the majority of women, kayaking is unlikely to have a significant impact on menstrual cycles. In fact, some women may find that regular exercise, including kayaking, can actually help regulate their cycles and reduce menstrual symptoms like cramps and bloating.
It’s worth noting that stress, illness, and other factors can also impact menstrual cycles, so it’s important to pay attention to your body and seek medical advice if you experience any significant changes or irregularities.
Can You Delay Your Period Before Your Kayaking Trip?
However, it’s important to note that these methods are not always safe and should only be used under the guidance of a healthcare provider, as there may be potential side effects and risks associated with altering your menstrual cycle.
If you are considering delaying your period before a kayaking trip, make sure to talk to your healthcare provider about your options to weigh the potential benefits and risks and choose a method that is safe and effective for you.
How to Kayak While on Your Period?
Kayaking while on your period can be a comfortable experience as long as you take precautions to ensure comfort and hygiene.
So, let’s break down all that you need to know to prepare for kayaking on your period.
Which Feminine Hygiene Products Are Best for Kayaking?
There are various options for feminine hygiene products; however, the most popular choices when kayaking or doing any physical activity are tampons and menstrual cups.
Let’s take a look at different feminine hygiene products to help you decide the best one for you:
- Tampons: Tampons are a popular choice for kayaking because they are discreet and can provide adequate protection. However, make sure to choose a tampon with the right absorbency level for your menstrual flow.
- Menstrual cups: Menstrual cups are reusable, eco-friendly, and can be worn for up to 12 hours. They are also a popular choice for kayaking because they don’t require frequent changes.
- Pads: Pads can provide reliable protection, but they may not be as comfortable for kayaking as tampons or menstrual cups. If you prefer pads, choose one with a secure adhesive and waterproof backing.
The best feminine hygiene product for kayaking is the one that provides you with the most comfort, protection, and peace of mind. Ultimately, your choice will depend on personal preference, comfort level, and the amount of menstrual flow.
Finding the right product for you may take some trial and error, so feel free to experiment and try different options.
How to Manage Period Cramps While Kayaking?
Managing period cramps and other symptoms while kayaking can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to make your experience more comfortable.
For instance, you can take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. You can also try to practice deep breathing exercises, which can help relax your muscles and reduce stress.
The most important thing is to listen to your body and take care of yourself during your kayaking trip. If you feel too uncomfortable or experience any severe symptoms, consider taking a break or ending your trip early.
What to Wear When Kayaking on Your Period?
When kayaking on your period, it’s important to wear comfortable and practical clothing that can handle any menstrual flow.
So, here are some tips on what to wear:
- Dark-colored clothing: Opt for dark-colored clothing, such as black or navy blue, that can conceal any menstrual stains.
- Quick-drying materials: Choose clothes made from quick-drying materials, such as nylon or polyester, that can handle getting wet.
- Athletic clothing: Wearing athletic clothing, such as yoga pants or leggings, can be comfortable and practical for kayaking.
- Underwear: Wear comfortable underwear that works with any menstrual product. If you tend to have a heavy flow, consider wearing period-proof underwear or a pantyliner for extra protection.
- Extra layers: Bring along an extra layer of clothing, such as a lightweight jacket or sweatshirt, in case you get cold or need to change.
Other Tips for Kayaking While on Your Period
Here are some additional tips for kayaking while on your period:
- Plan ahead: Make sure you know where the nearest restroom facilities are and pack all the necessary supplies, including extra menstrual products, pain relievers, and a change of clothes.
- Choose the right kayak: Opt for a kayak with a comfortable and adjustable seat that can accommodate your body during your period.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help reduce bloating and cramps during your kayaking trip.
- Communicate with your kayaking partner(s): If you’re kayaking with others, it’s important to communicate your needs and concerns. Let them know that you’re on your period and may need to take breaks or adjust your pace.
- Choose calm waters: Opt for calm and gentle waters, such as a lake or slow-moving river, to reduce the risk of capsizing or falling out of the kayak.
- Practice good hygiene: Bring along a small trash bag for used products and plenty of wipes or toilet paper to maintain good hygiene. Make sure to dispose of any used menstrual products properly, according to the regulations of the area you’re kayaking in.
By taking precautions and following these tips, you can ensure that your kayaking experience will be comfortable and enjoyable. But remember, it’s important to be kind to yourself and not push yourself too hard during your period.
Kayak your way to Freedom
- On a budget? Check out the best fishing kayaks under $500 here and the best Fishing Kayaks under $1,000 here. Or Check the best Cheap Kayaks here.
- Going fishing? Here are the best Ocean fishing kayaks, and here are the best River Fishing Kayaks.
- You can also find the best Fly Fishing Kayaks here and the best Bass Fishing Boats here.
- A bit experienced? Check out the best modular kayaks here and the best tandem fishing kayaks here.
- Looking for something special? Check out my favorite Ducky kayaks here.
- Navigate your way with these awesome and beginner-friendly Kayak compasses.
- Going Hunting? These Duck hunting kayaks will give you an unfair advantage!
- Have a need for speed? These motorized kayaks will get you moving.
- Protect yourself from the sun with these Kayak shades, and make your kayak more comfortable with these Kayak seats.
- Keep your feet dry and warm with these superb Kayaking shoes.
- Going Kayaking in cold water? Stay warm with these Kayaking gloves.
- Paddle Less, Fish More with the Best Kayak Motors
- Looking to get a trolling motor on your kayak? Check out the best kayak trolling motor mounts here.
If you like this article, please share it or pin it, you can find the share buttons below. We will really appreciate it ❤️