Take your kayaking adventures to the next level with the versatile Wilderness Systems Kayak Motor Mount. Enjoy effortless navigation and conserve your energy for longer trips with this easy-to-install mount that fits a wide range of kayak models and trolling motors.
With its durable construction and versatile design, this motor bracket is the perfect accessory for any kayaker looking to explore new waterways or make the most of their fishing trips.
While many kayakers prefer to paddle manually, there are situations where the use of a motor can be extremely beneficial. Whether you want to travel longer distances, explore new areas, or navigate through challenging water conditions, a motor can be a useful addition to your kayaking gear.
However, to safely attach a motor to your kayak, you will need to install a motor mount, and with so many different types of motor mounts available on the market, it can be challenging to choose the right one for your kayak.
In this guide, I’ll review some of the best kayak motor mounts available and discuss the key factors to consider when selecting a mount, including compatibility, durability, ease of installation, and more.
Table of Contents
List of the Best Kayak Motor Mounts in 2023
- Best Overall – Wilderness Systems Transom Trolling Motor Mount for Kayaks
- Runner-up – Watersnake Kayak Motor Bracket
- Best on A Budget – NyVoozy Transom Trolling Motor Mount for Kayaks
- Best for Fishing Kayaks – Brocraft Fishing Kayak Trolling Motor Mount
- Best for Inflatable Kayaks – Brocraft Inflatable Kayak Electric Motor Mount
The 5 Best Kayak Motor Mounts in 2023
1. Best Overall – Wilderness Systems Trolling Motor Mount for Kayaks
The Wilderness Systems Trolling Motor Mount for Kayaks is hands down the best motor mount on the market for kayaks.
The standout feature of this mount is its universal design, which allows it to fit a wide range of kayaks, including those from brands other than Wilderness Systems.
The mount is made from heavy-duty stainless steel, which provides excellent durability and resistance to corrosion. Moreover, it can accommodate powerful motors with a thrust capacity of up to 70 pounds.
The installation process is easy as the mount comes with all the necessary hardware and clear instructions to follow. Even if you’re not particularly handy, you should have no trouble installing this mount on your kayak.
Once installed, the mount will provide a stable and secure platform for your motor, with minimal wobbling or movement, allowing you to confidently navigate through rough waters or strong currents.
Pros VS Cons
- Universal design to fit a wide range of kayaks
- Made of high-quality materials with excellent durability
- Can accommodate motors with a thrust power of up to 70 pounds
- Easy installation process with clear instructions and included hardware
- Provides a stable and secure platform for your motor
- Relatively expensive compared to some other motor mounts on the market
The Wilderness Systems Trolling Motor Mount for Kayaks is an excellent investment for any kayaker looking to add a motor to their setup. It’s built with high-quality materials and designed to provide a secure and stable platform for your motor.
2. Runner-up – Watersnake Kayak Motor Bracket
This Watersnake Kayak Motor Bracket is another top choice for kayak motor mounts. It’s typically sold with Watersnake motors, but it can be sold separately, and its universal design means it’s compatible with most motors and kayaks.
The mount is made of high-quality materials, including aluminum and nylon, which are both lightweight and sturdy. It will provide a secure fixture for your motor to maintain stability and allow ease of operation in the water.
When it comes to motor power, it’s ideal for smaller motors with a maximum thrust capacity of 24 pounds. However, it still offers excellent performance with its three-axle design that maximizes the range of movement of the motor, allowing you to adjust it to the optimum position for your needs.
Pros VS Cons
- Allows a wide range of movement and easy adjustment
- Universal design makes it compatible with most motors and kayaks
- Sturdy and lightweight construction
- Maintains stability of the motor and allows easy operation
- May not be suitable for larger motors above 24 pounds of thrust
- Doesn’t have clear instructions for installation
The Watersnake Electric Trolling Motor Bracket combines versatility, durability, and excellent performance, making it an ideal choice for kayakers looking to add a small motor to their kayak.
3. Best on A Budget – NyVoozy Transom Trolling Motor Mount for Kayaks
The NyVoozy Transom Trolling Motor Mount is an excellent option for kayakers on a budget who are looking for an affordable motor mount without sacrificing functionality.
The construction quality is decent for the price as the mount is made from durable alloy steel with anti-rust screws, so it can withstand harsh conditions, even in saltwater, and provide a secure fixture for your motor.
It can accommodate most electric trolling motors with up to 55 pounds of thrust. It’s also easy to install as it comes with all the necessary hardware, and you can adjust it to the perfect position to fit your needs, making it a versatile option for a wide range of kayaks and motor sizes.
Pros VS Cons
- Affordable price
- Adjustable design to fit a wide range of kayaks and motor sizes
- Quick and easy installation with all necessary hardware included
- Made from durable materials
- Compatible with most motors of up to 55 pounds of thrust
- May not be as sturdy as some higher-end motor mounts
Despite its low price, NyVoozy Transom Trolling Motor Mount offers good quality and features that make it one of the best options on the market for budget-conscious kayakers.
4. Best for Fishing Kayaks – Brocraft Fishing Kayak Trolling Motor Mount
This BroCraft Motor Mount is designed specifically to be compatible with most fishing kayaks with dual rod holders.
The installation process is quick and straightforward, as all you need to do is slide the mount into the opening for the rod holders in the kayak. You’ll have a clear instruction manual and all the necessary hardware.
Moreover, the mount can be easily adjusted to fit different hull sizes and mounting angles, ensuring a universal fit. It can also be adjusted to fit both left and right-handed users.
Another standout perk this mount offers to anglers is that it comes with two rocket-launching rod holders, which allows you to keep your hands free while you focus on reeling in your catch.
Finally, it offers durable construction as it’s made of marine-grade aluminum alloy and nylon that’s suitable for fishing in freshwater or saltwater, and it can accommodate motors with a thrust capacity of up to 35 pounds.
Pros VS Cons
- Made from marine-grade alloy and nylon for durability and long life.
- Compatible with most kayak models with dual rod holders.
- Adjustable for different hull widths and left or right-hand operation.
- Easy to install and comes with all the necessary hardware.
- Comes with two rocket-launching rod holders to allow for hands-free fishing
- Relatively expensive compared to some other motor mounts on the market
- May not be suitable for larger motors above 35 pounds of thrust
The BroCraft Fishing Kayak Trolling Motor Mount is a great investment for kayak anglers who want to enhance their fishing experience. It may be expensive compared to other motor mounts, but the high price is worth it for all the perks it offers.
5. Best for Inflatable Kayaks – Brocraft Inflatable Kayak Electric Motor Mount
Just because you have an inflatable kayak doesn’t mean you can’t install a motor. This Brocraft Motor Mount is designed specifically for inflatable kayaks, meaning you won’t need to drill any holes in the kayak or use screws to install it.
The mount is easily attached to the kayak using two glue-on pads on each side, and it can be easily adjusted to fit different hull widths. The pads are made of durable nylon material that can provide a secure attachment point for the mount, and while the glue is not supplied, it is easy to find at most hardware stores.
The mount itself is made of marine-grade aluminum that’s lightweight enough for an inflatable kayak but still provides excellent durability and sufficient support for your motor.
Pros VS Cons
- Designed specifically for inflatable kayaks
- Adjustable to fit different hull widths
- Easy to install without drilling
- Durable construction with nylon and marine-grade aluminum
- Does not add too much weight to the kayak
- The glue for the glue-on pads is not supplied and must be purchased separately
- Glue-on pads can only stick to PVC surfaces, so they may not work for kayaks made of other materials
The Brocraft Inflatable Kayak Electric Motor Mount allows you to easily and securely attach a motor to most inflatable kayaks without having to worry about damaging the surface of the kayak or adding too much weight.
How to Choose the Right Kayak Motor Mount?
Motor mounts are an essential accessory for kayakers who want to attach a motor to their vessel. They come in different shapes, sizes, and materials, and choosing the right one for your kayak depends on several factors.
So, let’s take a closer look at these factors and also break down where and how to properly install the motor mount to your kayak.
Factors to Consider When Choosing A Motor Mount
Type of Motor
There are two primary types of motors, which are electric and gas. Each type has different properties, so you need to choose a mount that is compatible with the type and size of your motor.
For instance, electric motors are usually smaller and more lightweight than gas motors and are better suited for smaller kayaks. On the other hand, gas motors are more powerful and can move larger kayaks faster, but they are also heavier and may require a more robust motor mount.
You can check out my recommendations for some of the best kayak motors here.
Kayak Size and Shape
A motor mount should also be compatible with your kayak’s design and size to ensure a secure and stable attachment. Some kayak models come with pre-installed motor mounts, while others require an aftermarket mount.
When it comes to the material of the motor mount, there are generally two options: plastic and metal. Overall, you need to choose a material that fits your needs and budget.
Plastic mounts are lighter and more affordable, but they may not be as durable as metal mounts. Meanwhile, metal mounts are sturdier and more durable but may be heavier and more expensive.
Some motor mounts come with adjustable brackets and straps that allow you to fine-tune the angle and height of the motor. This feature can provide more control and stability while navigating through different water conditions.
Make sure that the motor mount you choose doesn’t exceed the weight capacity of your kayak and can also support the weight of your motor and any other accessories you plan to attach.
Exceeding the weight capacity of the kayak or the mount can lead to instability and safety concerns.
Ease of Installation
Finally, you don’t want to spend hours trying to install a motor mount, so it’s essential to choose one that is easy to install and requires minimal tools.
Look for a motor mount that is easy to attach and remove. It’s also important that it comes with clear instructions and all the necessary hardware for installation.
By taking these factors into account, you can ensure a secure and stable attachment, providing a safer and more enjoyable kayaking experience.
Where to Install A Motor Mount on Your Kayak?
There are two common locations where you can install a motor mount on your kayak:
- Stern of the kayak – The stern is the back end of the kayak. This location is ideal for most kayaks, as it provides a good balance of weight distribution and maneuverability. It can also help to keep the motor out of the water and prevent it from getting damaged.
- Transom of the kayak – The transom is the flat, vertical surface at the back of the kayak. This location is ideal for kayaks that are specifically designed for motorized use. It can provide better control and stability, especially when using a larger motor.
No matter where you choose to install your motor mount, it’s important to ensure that it is securely attached, as it will affect your kayak’s balance, stability, and performance.
You need to follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions carefully and use the appropriate hardware to ensure a secure fit. Additionally, make sure to position the motor mount in a way that allows for proper weight distribution and does not interfere with your paddling or steering.
How to Install A Motor Mount?
- Installing a motor mount on your kayak can be a relatively simple process as long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- Here are some general steps to follow when installing a motor mount on your kayak:
- Before you begin, gather all the tools and equipment you will need for the installation. This may include a drill, screwdriver, wrenches, and mounting hardware.
- Choose the location where you want to install the motor mount. As I mentioned earlier, the stern or transom of the kayak is typically the best location for a motor mount.
- Attach the mounting bracket to the kayak using the provided hardware. Make sure to position the bracket in the desired location and ensure it is level and straight.
- Attach the motor mount to the mounting bracket using the provided hardware. Make sure to tighten all screws and bolts securely.
- Attach the motor to the motor mount according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Make sure to use the appropriate hardware and ensure that the motor is securely attached.
- Before you hit the water, test the installation to ensure that everything is secure and working correctly. Turn on the motor and check that it is running smoothly and that there is no wobbling or instability.
Here is a simple video showing a couple different ways to do it:
It’s important to note that the installation process may vary depending on the type of motor mount you are using and the design of your kayak. So, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and seek professional help if you are unsure about any aspect of the installation process.
Can You Install A Motor Mount Without Drilling?
It is possible to install a motor mount on your kayak without drilling, but it will depend on the type of mount you are using and the design of your kayak.
Here are some options:
- Clamp-on motor mounts – These mounts are designed to attach to the kayak without drilling any holes and can be removed when not in use. They typically have adjustable clamps that can be tightened onto the kayak’s gunwales or rails.
- Stick-on motor mounts – These mounts attach to the kayak using a strong adhesive that can withstand the vibrations and movement of the motor. However, they may not be suitable for heavier motors or rough waters.
- Adhesive pads – If you are using a transom mount, you may be able to attach it to the kayak using adhesive pads. The pads can be attached to the kayak’s transom using a strong adhesive; then, the motor mount can be attached to the pads using bolts or screws.
Now, while these options can allow you to install a motor mount without drilling, it’s important to note that they may not provide the same level of stability and security as a mount that is drilled into the kayak.
Kayak your way to Freedom
- On a budget? Check out the best fishing kayaks under $500 here and the best Fishing Kayaks under $1,000 here. Or Check the best Cheap Kayaks here.
- Going fishing? Here are the best Ocean fishing kayaks, and here are the best River Fishing Kayaks.
- You can also find the best Fly Fishing Kayaks here and the best Bass Fishing Boats here.
- A bit experienced? Check out the best modular kayaks here and the best tandem fishing kayaks here.
- Looking for something special? Check out my favorite Ducky kayaks here.
- Navigate your way with these awesome and beginner-friendly Kayak compasses.
- Going Hunting? These Duck hunting kayaks will give you an unfair advantage!
- Have a need for speed? These motorized kayaks will get you moving.
- Protect yourself from the sun with these Kayak shades, and make your kayak more comfortable with these Kayak seats.
- Keep your feet dry and warm with these superb Kayaking shoes.
- Going Kayaking in cold water? Stay warm with these Kayaking gloves.
- Paddle Less, Fish More with the Best Kayak Motors
- Looking to get a trolling motor on your kayak? Check out the best kayak trolling motor mounts here.
If you like this article, please share it or pin it, you can find the share buttons below. We will really appreciate it ❤️