Fishing in the ocean is a popular activity that attracts anglers of all skill levels. The vast expanse of the ocean offers a diverse range of fish species and challenging conditions, making it an exciting and rewarding place to cast a line.
While many anglers prefer to fish from a traditional boat or onshore, fishing from a kayak has become an increasingly popular option in recent years.
However, many people wonder whether a fishing kayak is a suitable choice when it comes to fishing in the ocean. So, can a fishing kayak be used in the ocean?
A fishing kayak can be used in the ocean, but it’s important to choose one that is designed for ocean conditions. Look for a kayak with a long, narrow design, good stability, and the ability to handle waves and currents. It should also have sufficient storage space for gear and safety equipment.
Keep reading to learn more about the difference between ocean kayaks and fishing kayaks and how to choose the right kayak for ocean fishing.
Table of Contents
Can A Fishing Kayak Be Used in the Ocean?
Kayaks come in different shapes, sizes, and designs, each suited for specific purposes and environments.
For instance, fishing kayaks are specially designed for fishing and are often used in calmer waters like lakes and rivers; however, fishing kayaks can also be used in the ocean as long as they have the necessary features to withstand ocean conditions, including waves, currents, and winds, which can make kayaking more difficult and dangerous.
The Difference Between Ocean Kayaks and Fishing Kayaks
While both ocean kayaks and fishing kayaks are designed to be used in the water, they are designed for different purposes and have some key differences.
Ocean kayaks are designed to handle the challenging conditions of the ocean, so they tend to be longer and narrower than other types of kayaks, with pointed bows and sterns that help to cut through waves. They are also built to be more stable in rough waters, with features like self-bailing cockpits and high-volume bows.
On the other hand, fishing kayaks are designed specifically for fishing with features like rod holders, storage for tackle and gear, and comfortable seats that allow for long periods of sitting. Some fishing kayaks are also designed for ocean use, with features like pointed bows and high-volume hulls that make them more stable in rough waters.
However, remember that not all fishing kayaks are suitable for use in the ocean, so it’s important to choose a kayak designed for the specific conditions you’ll be facing.
How to Choose A Kayak for Ocean Fishing?
When choosing a kayak for ocean fishing, there are several factors to consider to ensure that the kayak is suitable for your needs and the conditions you’ll be facing.
So, let’s take a closer look at these factors:
- Length and Width: Look for kayaks that are at least 12-14 feet long and 28-32 inches wide. Longer and narrower kayaks are better suited for ocean conditions, as they are more efficient at cutting through waves and provide better tracking in windy conditions.
- Hull Shape: Look for a kayak with a V-shaped hull or a high-volume bow to help it handle rough seas and waves.
- Stability: Look for kayaks with a low center of gravity, such as those with a wide, flat bottom or pontoon-style hulls.
- Storage: Fishing requires a lot of gear, so look for kayaks with plenty of storage space, including hatches, bungee cords, and rod holders.
- Weight Capacity: Make sure the kayak you choose can handle the weight of you and your gear. Look for a kayak with a weight capacity that exceeds your total weight by at least 50 pounds.
- Material: Choose a kayak made of durable materials, such as rotomolded polyethylene or fiberglass, that can withstand exposure to saltwater and harsh weather conditions.
By considering these factors, you can select a kayak that is suitable for ocean fishing and that will provide a safe and enjoyable experience on the water.
One of my top picks for an ocean fishing kayak is this Ocean Kayak Prowler 13; it’s a great choice for anglers who want an efficient and stable kayak in ocean conditions. If you want more recommendations, you can check out my guide on the best ocean fishing kayaks here.
General Tips for Kayak Fishing in the Ocean
Kayak fishing in the ocean can be a thrilling and rewarding experience, but it also requires preparation, skill, and knowledge to ensure your safety and success.
Here are some general tips for kayak fishing in the ocean:
- Check the weather and tide conditions before heading out. Avoid fishing in rough seas or strong currents that are beyond your skill level.
- Wear a personal flotation device (PFD) at all times, and consider wearing a wetsuit or drysuit for additional protection. You can learn more about what fishermen wear here.
- Bring essential safety gear, including a whistle, signaling device (such as flares), and a paddle leash.
- Familiarize yourself with your kayak and practice getting in and out of it in shallow water before heading out to deeper waters.
- Plan your fishing strategy in advance, including the areas you want to fish, the types of bait or lures you’ll be using, and the fish you’re targeting.
- Use the right gear for ocean fishing, including a rod and reel that can handle larger fish species, and bring extra gear in case of gear failure.
- Stay aware of other boaters and follow maritime laws and regulations.
- Keep an eye on the weather and be prepared to cut your trip short if conditions become unsafe.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your kayak fishing trip in the ocean is safe, enjoyable, and successful. If you’re just getting started with kayak fishing, you can learn more about how to set up your kayak for fishing and how to choose a fishing kayak here.
Kayak your way to Freedom
- On a budget? Check out the best fishing kayaks under $500 here and the best Fishing Kayaks under $1,000 here. Or Check the best Cheap Kayaks here.
- Going fishing? Here are the best Ocean fishing kayaks, and here are the best River Fishing Kayaks.
- You can also find the best Fly Fishing Kayaks here and the best Bass Fishing Boats here.
- A bit experienced? Check out the best modular kayaks here and the best tandem fishing kayaks here.
- Looking for something special? Check out my favorite Ducky kayaks here.
- Navigate your way with these awesome and beginner-friendly Kayak compasses.
- Going Hunting? These Duck hunting kayaks will give you an unfair advantage!
- Have a need for speed? These motorized kayaks will get you moving.
- Protect yourself from the sun with these Kayak shades, and make your kayak more comfortable with these Kayak seats.
- Keep your feet dry and warm with these superb Kayaking shoes.
- Going Kayaking in cold water? Stay warm with these Kayaking gloves.
- Paddle Less, Fish More with the Best Kayak Motors
- Looking to get a trolling motor on your kayak? Check out the best kayak trolling motor mounts here.
If you like this article, please share it or pin it, you can find the share buttons below. We will really appreciate it ❤️