Choosing the right type of kayak for ocean kayaking can make all the difference in your safety and enjoyment.
Inflatable kayaks have gained popularity over the years for their ease of transport, storage, and affordability, making them a viable option for kayaking enthusiasts.
But the question remains, can you use an inflatable kayak in the ocean?
You can use an inflatable kayak in the ocean as long as you choose a durable inflatable kayak with the necessary safety features and use it in mild conditions. However, it’s generally recommended to use a hard-shell kayak that’s specifically designed for ocean use.
Keep reading to learn more about the difference between ocean kayaks and inflatable kayaks and how to choose the best inflatable kayak for ocean kayaking.
Table of Contents
The Difference Between Ocean Kayaks and Inflatable Kayaks
Kayaks come in a variety of shapes and sizes, each designed for specific environments and activities.
Ocean kayaks and inflatable kayaks are two of the most popular types of kayaks, but there are significant differences between them.
Ocean kayaks are hard-shell kayaks designed for open water, including the ocean. They are longer, narrower, and more stable than other kayaks, making them ideal for dealing with the waves and currents of the ocean.
They typically have features such as rudders, skegs, and spray skirts that help to control the kayak and protect the paddler from getting wet. They are also equipped with flotation devices that keep the kayak afloat if it capsizes.
Inflatable kayaks, on the other hand, are made of flexible materials such as PVC or rubber, which can be inflated to create the kayak’s shape.
They are more affordable, portable, and easy to store than hard-shell kayaks, making them popular among kayaking enthusiasts. However, inflatable kayaks are not as stable or durable as hard-shell kayaks and are unsuitable for rough water conditions.
Can You Use An Inflatable Kayak in the Ocean?
You can use an inflatable kayak in the ocean with some important considerations.
First and foremost, it’s crucial to understand that not all inflatable kayaks are suitable for ocean use, so you need to ensure that the kayak you choose is designed for ocean use and has the necessary safety features.
It’s also important to note that inflatable kayaks are best suited for exploring calm and sheltered coves, bays, and estuaries with mild ocean conditions. These kayaks can handle small waves but are not as stable or durable as hard-shell kayaks, which are typically designed for open water.
In addition to choosing the right kayak, you also need to have the necessary skills and experience to paddle in the ocean because ocean kayaking can be challenging and requires a certain level of skill and experience to handle the waves, currents, and wind.
How to Choose An Inflatable Kayak for Ocean Kayaking?
Choosing the right inflatable kayak for ocean kayaking can be challenging, but with careful consideration, you can find the right one that meets your needs.
Here are some factors to consider when choosing an inflatable kayak for ocean kayaking:
- Stability: Look for kayaks with a wide beam and low center of gravity, which will provide more stability in the ocean’s waves.
- Durability: Make sure the kayak is made from durable materials like reinforced PVC, which can withstand rough ocean conditions.
- Size: Choose a kayak that fits your body size and weight and the size of the ocean waves you’ll be kayaking in. The kayak should be long and wide enough to provide stability in rough waters.
- Weight capacity: Make sure the kayak has enough weight capacity to carry you and your gear, as well as any additional safety equipment you may need.
- Inflation and deflation: Look for kayaks that are easy to inflate and deflate, with features like high-pressure valves and a pump included.
- Additional features: Consider additional features like adjustable seats, footrests, and storage compartments, which can make ocean kayaking more comfortable and convenient.
By considering these factors, you can find an inflatable kayak that provides the stability, performance, and safety features needed to navigate the ocean’s conditions.
My top pick is this Sea Eagle 420X inflatable kayak due to its exceptional stability, durability, and performance. Its large size and width provide ample stability in rough ocean conditions, while its reinforced PVC construction ensures durability against the ocean’s waves.
It has a high eright capacity of 855 pounds with multiple storage compartments for all your gear. Additionally, its easy-to-inflate design, high-pressure valves, and included pump make it quick and convenient to set up and get on the water.
However, if you prefer to go with a hard-shell kayak, you can check out my recommendations for the best ocean kayak here.
Tips to Stay Safe When Kayaking in the Ocean in An Inflatable Kayak
Ocean kayaking can be dangerous, so here are some tips to stay safe when kayaking in the ocean in an inflatable kayak:
- Check weather and ocean conditions: Before heading out, check the weather and ocean conditions. Avoid kayaking in rough conditions, such as strong winds, high waves, and currents can make kayaking in the ocean dangerous.
- You can learn more about the best time to go ocean kayaking here.
- Wear a lifejacket: Always wear a lifejacket when kayaking in the ocean. In the event of an accident, a life jacket can keep you afloat and increase your chances of survival.
- Bring safety equipment: Bring essential safety equipment such as a whistle, flares, and a signaling device. These tools can help you attract attention and call for help in case of an emergency.
- Know your limits: It’s important to know your limits and stay within your comfort level. Don’t attempt to kayak in conditions that are too challenging for your skills and experience level.
- Practice capsizing and rescues: Capsizing can happen, and knowing how to handle it is essential. You can learn more about what to do if your kayak flips here.
- Stick with others: It’s always safer to kayak with a partner or a group. Stay within sight of each other and communicate regularly to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Follow local regulations: Make sure to research local regulations and laws, such as restricted areas and speed limits, before kayaking anywhere. Follow these regulations to avoid any fines or penalties and ensure the safety of yourself and others.
In conclusion, kayaking in the ocean can be a thrilling adventure, but it’s essential to prioritize safety. By following these tips and being aware of the risks and challenges of kayaking in the ocean, you can enjoy a safe and enjoyable experience in your inflatable kayak.
Kayak your way to Freedom
- On a budget? Check out the best fishing kayaks under $500 here and the best Fishing Kayaks under $1,000 here. Or Check the best Cheap Kayaks here.
- Going fishing? Here are the best Ocean fishing kayaks, and here are the best River Fishing Kayaks.
- You can also find the best Fly Fishing Kayaks here and the best Bass Fishing Boats here.
- A bit experienced? Check out the best modular kayaks here and the best tandem fishing kayaks here.
- Looking for something special? Check out my favorite Ducky kayaks here.
- Navigate your way with these awesome and beginner-friendly Kayak compasses.
- Going Hunting? These Duck hunting kayaks will give you an unfair advantage!
- Have a need for speed? These motorized kayaks will get you moving.
- Protect yourself from the sun with these Kayak shades, and make your kayak more comfortable with these Kayak seats.
- Keep your feet dry and warm with these superb Kayaking shoes.
- Going Kayaking in cold water? Stay warm with these Kayaking gloves.
- Paddle Less, Fish More with the Best Kayak Motors
- Looking to get a trolling motor on your kayak? Check out the best kayak trolling motor mounts here.
If you like this article, please share it or pin it, you can find the share buttons below. We will really appreciate it ❤️